Bariatric Surgery – Is this the Cheats Way out?
Most of us wake up every Monday morning and say to ourselves -” today is the day that I will start my diet” Does this sound familiar to you? These thoughts can often go on for months, if not years and then there is often a trigger or event that occurs. Common triggers are:
• Having a health scare?
• Being refused an operation due to your weight?
• Overhearing a rude and personal comment?
• Being told you cannot fit on a fairground ride?
• Asking for a seat belt extension on the plane?
• Refusing to join in social activities and occasions?
• Realising that you can’t fit in the chair in a restaurant, or worse you break it?
• Being unable to get off the floor without going onto all fours?
• Getting stuck in the bathtub?
• Regaining all your weight after another unsustainable diet?
Weight loss surgery is always the final option for most of our patients and never should be described as the “cheats way out”. How can it be an easy way out, if you are prepared to do the following?
• Make a lifelong commitment to changing your diet?
• Prepare to undergo sometimes major and invasive surgery?
• Accept the risks that come with an operation?
• Invest a large financial sum of money?
• Face negative comments and questions from friends and family, which in turn can often alter the course of your relationships?
• Know that if you eat the wrong thing – you will pay the consequences!
Once your weight starts to impact on your health and subsequently your life, Bariatric Surgery can often be the only solution. And as for the “cheats way out”, our reply to that is – “You are only cheating yourself out of a premature death”. So next Monday when you wake up with your good intentions, give that diet, one more go and if all else fails, pick up the phone and speak to a member of our team.
*Disclaimer: Please note that weight loss surgery results and benefits are unique to each individual and in such The Bariatric Group cannot guarantee specific weight loss goals as results for each surgery can vary. If you have any questions or would like to know more about weight loss surgery please contact our expert team.